Monday, September 26, 2011

Interesting Forum Post.

I found this post today as I was combing the forums and thought I would share.

"6542 GMT master mystery"



Back in the 70's I managed to get a pilot's license. Every pilot needs a pilot's watch and I found a GMT master, used, probably around 1976. I was young then. They could have sold me an orange with "GMT MASTER" engraved on it and I would have worn it proudly.


In the 80's I had it serviced in Geneva and a little later lost the bezel (it must have popped off).


Years went by and in 2000 we moved back to the States from England. The shippers told us to wrap all of our finery in clothes and pack them into the drawers of our dressers. The Rolex wasn't there when we unpacked. Well, there went my $500 watch.


A couple of months ago, looking for parts to something I was working on, I found a box full of old bathroom stuff: girl juice, girl paint, etc (I'm the only male here). There was an old purse as well. I was about to toss the whole lot but the purse felt heavy. Yup, my Rolex was back.


I went on line to find a bezel and innocently typed in the model, 6542, only to learn that the foolish & extravagant investment in a $500 watch during my youth may have been the best investment I have ever made.


The mystery now is what do I have? The model stamped between the band lugs is 6542; the SN, stamped at 6oclock is 2627XX. There are no other stamped markings. The bezel insert that I lost was a metal insert, not Bakelite. The red hand has a rather larger arrow than some of the pictures I have seen. The crystal is plastic with the "cyclops" window.


I cannot get the back open but I have not yet resorted to the vise-grips.


The watch runs okay but needs additional winding or it will occasionally stop. So, I do what any self respecting Rolex owner would do: I set the alarm clock for 3am and get up and wind my watch.


Thanks in advance 



I will Follow this post and keep readers updated.

Update! 9/27/2011  
Here's an update with the pictures provided by owner. 


Okay, finally, some pics; I hope.

Er, the vice-grip thing was something I'd have done at a younger age. If I had been meant to have patience I'd have been a doctor. But the tools shall remain in the garage and the watch on my wrist.

I wear this watch every day, as can be seen by the crystal. In fact I rarely take it off. The only problem being when I whack my wife in the night and she wakes me up. Although, sometimes that works out okay too.

Ah, but the poor thing seems naked without the bezel. I've found an aftermarket one at classicwatchparts.com that looks like the bakelite ones. I haven't decided to go for it yet though. $330 is not insignificant.

If anyone has a better source I'd be glad to hear about it.

Thanks again, and sorry it takes me so logn to get with it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment