Monday, September 5, 2011

Watch hunting (1) N.O : A Vacheron Constantin Pocketwatch.

"The Hunt."
It is my belief that one of the greatest joys of being a watch collector is the hunt.  It is not the purchase of a grail piece but instead the discovery of other interesting pieces along the way. As of today, my grail piece is is still out there, probably resting in a dusty display case somewhere in uncharted territory. This doesn't bother me. I am quite content for now searching and discovering.
In short, a recent visit to New Orleans did not deliver my grail but did allow me the pleasure of seeing a few amazing timepieces. My most recent trip to "The Big Easy" lead me to Royal street.  I chose to stay confined within the french quarter district with the notion I would see some amazing pieces.  I was not disappointed.

The first store on the list was M.S Rau Antiques. I hardly think calling this one hundred year old family owned landmark "a Store" does it justice. However, it will have to do to properly illustrate my point.  M.S Rau, is one of the finest establishments I have visited. The location at 630 Royal Street is more of a museum than a conventional store.  The exception is of course that the museum pieces are available for purchase. Upon entering I spotted a few timepieces. The first I wished to see was an 18th century fusee movement pocket watch. A M.S Rau Representative gladly retrieved the piece. I was allowed to handle the piece without an aura of anxiety. The Representative was extraordinarily knowledgeable and at ease. He described the piece with passion. This reminded me that I was not in a store but rather amidst a collection. A collection, where the owner had decided to find new homes for his pieces. The 18th century pocket watch was stunning.  It featured an immaculate porcelain dial and an extraordinarily well engraved fusee movement. It's exterior case was fashioned from shark skin. The piece that captured my eye, however, was an antique Vacheron Constantin pocket watch.  The piece was turn of the century and cased in a radiant 18k case.  It featured a hand painted dial with exceptionally preserved brilliant red sub second indices. The Representative opened the case which showcased the beautiful movement. The finish on the bridges of the movement was exceptional and exemplified the quality of it's maker.  It was the personal engraving on the piece that I found to be the most touching attribute. The inscription read:
"Bernard G. Gunther
From his Brother
F. Frederic Gunther
Harvard University
June 26th 1889"

Please visit the M.S Rau site.
Please note that the salespeople are extraordinarily knowledgable and express a genuine interest in the pieces they sell.

-JKS



No comments:

Post a Comment