Sunday, September 4, 2011

Vacheron Constantin ref. 4961 mini-review.

Today, I have prepared a mini-review video featuring one of my newest additions. The Vacheron Constantin Ultrathin. The model was introduced in 1955, it was a commemorative model marking the 200 year anniversary of the factories grand opening. The VC ref. 4961 features the 1003 movement, which was a joint effort between Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger Lecoutre and Audemars Piguet. It is considered the thinnest fully realized mechanical movement in the world. The 1003 movement is still used in VC's current line.
I have had my ref. 4961 for about a week now and can't rave enough about the accuracy. The watch is absolutely stunning and a joy to look at. One would think that at just a little over 33mm, the piece is extraordinarily understated, however, I have found that my VC commands attention. I have receievd quite a few compliments on it's beautiful simplistic design. The 4961's lines are timeless, yet the tasteful curviture of the lugs allude to the Art nouveau movement. The design is such, it could have been a Alphonse Mucha piece (see picture below).
 
The watch can be worn to the most formal of affairs, yet can serve also as a daily wearer. I think it is no secret, this piece is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Although, I have been tempted by various Vacheron Constantin pieces in the past, this is the first I have owned and I am happy to say it lives up to the tremendous old-world reputation. Please make sure to check in again, as I will be visiting the newly opened N.Y Vacheron Constantin boutique at the end of the month.









Official Vacheron Constantin Site: http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en2/


The Caliber 1003
Reissue of the Vacheron Constantin Ultrathin (featuring 1003 caliber)

No comments:

Post a Comment